Monday, January 16, 2012

Learning dance for the older crowd


As a child, I was like many other little girls who dreamed of being a ballerina. I was enthralled with the beauty and grace of ballet. My neighbor was taking dance lessons, and I often begged my parents to allow me to take ballet lessons. Unfortunately, I was never able to pursue this dream.
As an adult, I was blessed with one daughter. I never even thought of putting her in dance lessons, but when she was about 9 years old, she started asking to take ballet lessons. At first, I told her “no” because I knew that her father did not like me to put the kids into a lot of activities. But she kept asking. Finally, I told her that if she wanted to dance that much, she should ask her father herself. I was very pleased when he finally relented and agreed that she could take ballet. I was thrilled that my daughter was getting an opportunity that I had always dreamed of.
For the last six years I have lived my dream vicariously through my daughter. I am so proud of her, but a part of me still wishes that I could dance myself. At 48, I’m probably a little beyond learning ballet. But there are many options for people of any age to learn dance.

for an opportunity to learn many different styles of dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment